Shannon C. King
Shannon C. King is an associate at The Miller Law Firm where her practice currently focuses on employment law and complex commercial, class action, and multidistrict litigation.
Ms. King received her J.D., cum laude, from Western Michigan University Cooley Law School in 2015. During her law school career, she made various contributions to programs geared toward underserved areas. In her first year, she served as the lead teaching assistant for the Council of Legal Education Opportunity (“CLEO”) College Prelaw Summer Institute – a program that provides students from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds with the training necessary to prepare them for law school. Ms. King also mentored inner-city, high-school students as a team leader for the Just the Beginning Foundation, a week-long program that offers free legal training to under-served youth from disadvantaged economic backgrounds.
Ms. King also competed nationally on the National Moot Court Team, advancing to the quarter finals in the 2013 ABA Law Student Division National Appellate Advocacy Competition. She was a board member of the Moot Court Board, Black Law Students Association, and Criminal Law Society. Additionally, Ms. King was the recipient of the 2013 D. Augustus Straker Bar Foundation A. Kay Standfield Spinks Law Student Scholarship, as well as the Women’s Lawyers Association of Michigan Foundation Outstanding Woman Law Student Award in 2014.
Ms. King is also an alumnus of the Wolverine Bar Association Judicial Externship Program – a program administered by the Honorable Victoria A. Roberts. As an intern, Ms. King clerked for the Honorable Terrence G. Berg, United States District Judge for the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. Ms. King also spent several months interning with the Wayne County Prosecutor’s Office in its child abuse unit.
As a student attorney for the Family Law Assistance Project, a collaboration between the law school and Lakeshore Legal Aid, Ms. King represented low-income residents of Oakland County in family-law and domestic-violence litigation in Oakland County Circuit Court.
Ms. King received her B.B.A., cum laude, from Walsh College in 2010 where she was a recipient of the Presidential Scholarship Award.
Ms. King is admitted to practice law in the State of Michigan and the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
- Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School Open House, Guest Speaker
- Transitioning to Practice, Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Guest Lecturer
- Wolverine Bar Association Judicial Externship Program, Co-chair
- National Association of Women Judges (NAWJ) and Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School Mentor Jet Program, Panelist
- Melissa Mitchell Moot Court Competition Michaelmas 2017, Western Michigan University Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Panel Judge
TEACHING AND PRESENTATIONS
- Adjunct Professor – Appellate Advocacy, Western Michigan University Cooley Law School
- Western Michigan University Cooley Law School Open House, Guest Speaker
- Transitioning to Practice, Western Michigan University Cooley Law School, Guest Lecturer